Nintendo has mastered almost every game genre
I had a random thought popped into my head while playing Fire Emblem Awakening. Not sure how the thought came into my head but it got me fascinated. So I decided to do a little snooping and my findings were interesting to say the least.
What was that thought?
Has Nintendo mastered all the game genre’s?
The answer? No, they have not mastered every game genre. But they are darn close to it.
Nintendo has got a reputation of relying on the same IP’s (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon). It is true to a certain extent but Nintendo has an impressive spread of games over many genres. Most impressive is the spread of quality games over many genre’s.
I compiled a list of games below.
- To qualify for the list, the IP has to be owned or partially owned by Nintendo.
- The highest game rated (metacritic) from each genre was selected.
- I intentionally left out a few games (mainly because i can’t recall all of the game Nintendo has produced).
- I did not include games from the NES and SNES era.
- I left out party and casual games because it is a given a Nintendo are good in producing these type of games.
|2D Platformer||3D Platformer|
|New Super Mario Bros||89||Super Mario Galaxy||97|
|New Super Mario Bros Wii||87||Super Mario Galaxy 2||97|
|New Super Mario bros 2||78||Super Mario Sunshine||92|
|New Super Mario Bros U||84||Super Mario 64||94|
|Donkey Kong Returns||87|
|First Person Shooters||RPG|
|Metroid Prime 2: Echoes||92||Mario & Luigi: BIS (DS)||90|
|Metroid Prime 3: Corruptions||90||Mario & Luigi: SSS (GBA)||90|
|Geist||66||Paper Mario (N64)||92|
|Main Pokemon series|
|Zelda: Ocarina of Time||99||Mario Kart Super circuit||93|
|Zelda: Majora Mask||95||Mario Kart ds||90|
|Zelda: Wind Waker||96||F Zero GX||89|
|Zelda: Twilight Princess||96||Wave Race 64||92|
|Zelda: Skyward Sword||93|
|Turn Based Strategy||Real Time Strategy|
|Fire Emblem: Awakening||92||Pikmin||89|
|Advance Wars: Dual Strike||90||pikmin 2||90|
|Advance Wars (Gba)||92||Battalion War||76|
|Advance Wars: Days of Ruin||86||Battalion Wars 2||75|
|Mario Tennis (N64)||91||Mario Vs Donker: MMA||82|
|Mario Golf (N64)||91||Pushmo||90|
|Animal Crossing||87||Starfox 64||88|
|Animal Crossing: Wild Word||86||Sin and punishment 2||87|
|Animal Crossing Wii||75||Kid Icarus Uprising (TPS)||83|
My thoughts and notes
- The name Mario appears many times. However it is only a Name, a figure head for Nintendo, to sell the game.
- Although not known for their RPG’s, Ninty has a fantastic lineup of RPG’s: Super Mario Rpg, Paper Mario series, Pokemon series and Xenoblade
- Eternal Darkness and Fatal Frame series are listed because Nintendo has ownership or partial ownership of the IP.
- I am unsure about the agreement between Tecmo and Nintendo on the Fatal Frame series.
- The Metroid prime series is listed under FPS because has prominent shooter elements. Many would argue it is strictly a first person adventure. I disagree.
- Kid Icarus could be listed as a TPS.
- Nintendo dominates 2D platformers, 3D platformers and action adventures. It comes at no surprise, Nintendo literally pioneered these genre’s.
- The worrying trend is that you see the same series pop its head out. Nintendo does need to invest in new IP’s
So what genre’s are missing from Ninty’s repertoire?
From the top of my head: Racing Sims Military shooters, Open world games, Third person shooters, Interactive movies, Stealth, Action, MMORPG’s. Most are sub-genre’s.
Did I forget any? Please let me know!
Essentially, the genre’s that are prevalent on the competition, are the genre’s Nintendo are not capable of producing games for.
Nevertheless, it is a testimony to Nintendo’s pedigree as a publisher and developer. It will be hard to find a company that can match this (in both quantity and quality). Nintendo has an unparalleled grasp on video game design, it is no wonder that they still remain relevant for over 25 years. Keep it up Ninty.
How many genre’s will Nintendo cross with the Wii U? Hopefully, a lot more than they did with the Wii.
It would be interesting to compare Sony’s, Microsoft’s and Nintendo’s spread of games over genre’s. But I won’t do that because that will cause a flame war.
What do you guys think? Are you impressed? Are you as Fascinated as I am?